[sudo-discuss] Not a sober space, but...

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sun Feb 16 22:25:05 PST 2014

In summary I agree with Chris about this:  It should be possible for
people to handle having a couple of beers without becoming obnoxious or
raising a liability risk.  If someone is intoxicated to the point where
they're obnoxious (such as e.g. chasing someone around who doesn't want
to talk to them), that's a problem.  And for liability reasons if
nothing else, SR shouldn't be treated as "the party" or "the after-party."

The key distinctions are between "casual occurrence" vs "event," and
between "alcohol as beverage incidental to e.g. a meal" vs "getting
loaded."

"Events" where alcohol is "served" or even "made available" run the risk
that if something bad happens, SR could be fined for operating an
unlicensed nightclub.  Per a recent news story about a fight at a
warehouse party, the persons responsible were facing a $60,000 fine for
that.

Alice & Bob bring over a pizza and a sixpack to share with friends, is
"casual" and the alcohol is "incidental to the meal."  The small number
of persons involved, and the small amount of alcohol involved, reduce
the risks to negligible.

"Getting loaded" falls into the legal definition of intoxication, which
is a minefield of liability.  If someone gets loaded _at_ SR and then
gets in a fight or auto accident, their defense attorney would almost
certainly bring SR into the chain of liability.

Even "get loaded _somewhere else_, then head to Sudo" is a risk, since
one has to get from "somewhere else" to SR, and that means being
intoxicated in public or DUI.  If "get loaded somewhere else" is
"policy" or even "understood," then SR becomes entangled in the chain of
causality if a problem occurs.

If a few individuals' repeat behavior is a cause of these issues
becoming "issues," then it's likely that they have drinking problems.
SR is not obligated to accommodate those behaviors, and the people
involved should face up to their situations.

-G

=====