[sudo-discuss] Techcrunch: This Algae Battery Could Power A Tesla With 200X The Charge

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:14:07 PDT 2014

Hey Josiah,

Thanks for asking, there have been a lot of questions around Adam's algae
battery and he's asked me to help with responding briefly to the questions.
He's going to be pulling together a FAQ for a lot of the questions that he
and I were asked (we were pretty much flooded with emails and calls the
last couple of days). In a nutshell, this is very early tech, so it's most
definitely a work in progress and as with much early stage science, there's
no guarantee it will definitely work but Adam's working hard to finish off
the prototype.

I'll be sharing the FAQ in a few weeks and we're looking forward to having
a prototype to show in about 2ish months. Bear with us as the article came
out a lot faster than we expected it would.

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Josiah Zayner <josiah.zayner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> No actual mention of how anything works and the video doesn't explain
> anything. Are you just passing a current through algae in the video? One
> can pass a current through tap water.....
>
> No offense, but it seems like the TechCrunch article is a paid
> advertisement.... It doesn't say anything.
>
> Is the goal to using algae as electrodes maybe, like previous work of
> others?
>
> Do you think using anything living, like algae could even be used in a Car
> battery? how would it survive heat?, cold? Anything that isn't a normal
> environment?
>
> Don't algae need light to grow?? How would this work in a battery?
>

> On Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:52:17 AM UTC-7, Biotech Ryan wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We're super excited for the first bit of coverage on techcrunch of what
>> we hope will be transformative tech for batteries.
>>
>> http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/30/this-algae-battery-could-
>> power-a-tesla-with-200x-the-charge/
>> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2014%2F05%2F30%2Fthis-algae-battery-could-power-a-tesla-with-200x-the-charge%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFYTrYlsiOJZyF7VzwHQrwpk0k4ew>
>>
>> Adam's company, Algas Biotech is developing early stage technology to
>> replace the use of rare metals in batteries (i.e. much more eco friendly
>> and it would remove CO2 from the atmosphere as part of the production of
>> Algae). The technology is still early (with all the expected caveats that
>> early stage science has) but Adam's going to have more news to share in the
>> near future!
>>
>> All the best,
>> Ryan
>>

>> --