[sudo-discuss] shotspotter will be discontinued

Gabrielle Silverman gabbywingnut at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 22:26:35 PDT 2014

I have several thoughts.

1. There is a real question about whether a "people's shotspotter"
constitutes "snitching". Just as importantly is the question of whether it
would be perceived of as snitching or collaborating with the police and
what that could mean organizationally and for individuals.

I think these are murky dangerous waters. I have seen truly horrible
infighting and messy nasty cointelpro type incidents break out over less.

2. I do recognize that guns hurt people and ruin lives. Jake, you asked
what my alternative solution is and I would say prevention and recourses
pending revolution. Ok?

3- If someone's been shot the priority should be an ambulence.

4- Certainly making information open and public and never feeding directly
to cops is less controversial, but there is no getting around the reality
that a shotspotter system (alerting to gunshots, fireworks, random street
noise, maybe loud parties?- Am i totally crazy here?) would be used almost
exclusively by the police.

5- If you have never been on the receiving end of violence, harassment, or
curruption at the hands of OPD, there's a good chance you are a white
person or that you can pass as middle class.

6- I hope my comments are understood as coming from a place of respect and
concern.

7- I don't want to tell other people what to do and what to build.

I think its a bad idea but I hope that if this does move forward in some
form that the people who are working on it are doing so consciously and
thoughtfully, recognizing that it's going to be controversial.

Gabby