[sudo-discuss] Tonight's meeting: Applying for 501c3!

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:47:14 PDT 2014

Hm - I was just having a look at the current Articles of Association etc.
Couple of comments:

- You might as well call your Articles of Association Bylaws. That's the
terminology everyone uses and recognizes, and it helps to avoid confusion
with the Articles of Incorporation.

- I believe the statement on the wiki that you only need a treasurer is
*incorrect*. See CA code section
5213<http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/CORP/1/1/d2/2/2/1/s5212>
:

"A corporation shall have a chair of the board, who may be given the title
chair of the board, chairperson of the board, chairman of the board, or
chairwoman of the board, or a president or both, a secretary, a treasurer
or a chief financial officer or both [...]"
"[...] no person serving as the secretary, the treasurer, or the chief
financial officer may serve concurrently as the president or chair of the
board."

So you need at a minimum a chair, secretary and treasurer, but secretary
and treasurer could be the same person.

Patrik