[sudo-discuss] Evictions in California

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Fri Mar 21 17:50:51 PDT 2014

1)  Fight fire with a bigger fire:

Find a progressive legislator who can introduce a bill calling for:

a)  Landlords convicted of illegal evictions or slumlording, to be
subjected to civil forfeiture of their properties.  Seized properties to
be sold to nonprofit housing-oriented groups and tenant co-ops at
subsidized rates.

b)  Felony enhancement for landlords found to have made materially false
statements under oath or in any legal documents pertaining to their
tenants or cases.  This part can be bargained away as a "compromise."

Don't just play defense, always play offense.

2)  Dealing with NIMBYs:

It's useful to parse out actual NIMBYism from honest concerns such as
parking shortages, inadequate water mains, blocked solar access, etc.

The most useful thing to do about parking, and excessive reliance on
automobiles generally, is to use strong tax incentives for telecommuting
& telework.  Any job that does not involve putting hands on products is
a potential telework job.  Any job that primarily involves using a
computer and/or phone is an obvious telework job.

Conversion to teleworking will enable large numbers of workers to
happily give up automobiles that they only keep due to a need to commute
to work.  This will substantially reduce parking congestion in
residential areas.

Conversion to teleworking will also reduce the need for large office
space by downtown businesses.  Consolidation of office space into fewer
buildings opens up potentially huge square footage that can be converted
to housing.

Win/win/win solution all round.

-G.

=====