[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

eddan.com eddan at sudoroom.tv
Wed Mar 26 09:39:25 PDT 2014

While I agree with concerns about top-down ownership, I think it is important to recognize their success in regards to diversity. Both in terms of who works there during the day and the kind of events they hold, I have been impressed by how connected the place is to the community - at any point in time you'll see a majority of people of color and more often more women than men - both areas in which Sudo Room has struggled with since its inception.

Additionally, I think there may be some misunderstanding about what having an open knowledge, commons-oriented set of agreements. The logic of open knowledge systems is to celebrate the spread of these norms as they become more widely adopted - concern about 'copying and pasting' seem to perpetuate an exclusive rights kind of thinking.