[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

Danny Spitzberg stationaery at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:56:45 PDT 2014

Hey all,

A few clarifications

1

My original inquiry was asking if there was any discussion around Sudo  membership outreach, recruitment, retention, etc. Is there? Either way, I brought the Hub example as a step in a process that was unambiguous and self-explanatory for the uninitiated and unfamiliar.

2

I very strongly doubt the HUB folk coopted or copy+v'd anything from Sudo; these folks have experience in anti-oppressive action from which their membership and so-called social contract ideas materialized in words. What's more, reading their language was refreshing for me; re-reading the Sudo articles required previous knowledge and understanding, and I only ever found it because I once overheard someone say back in 2012 "one of the membership requirements is essentially that you have to go and find the membership requirements."

3

The Hub Oakland may in many ways be viewed as a kinder face of top-down oppressive extractive hierarchy and what have you. Many, many initiatives appear opaque from the outside or at a distance. However, they are open and eager to explain the nature of their service as accountable to their members. As well, they are run almost entirely by female POC Oakland citizens, and they marshal a great deal of radical action in their work. I also learned today that they are proactively providing 100 memberships to community members that lack the means to afford it. Those facts speak to the various race and class and gender and otherness concerns, at least somewhat.

4

The crowdfunding effort was, like any good fundraising effort, a boom made possible by several years pre-public campaigning to reach hundreds of Oakaland citizens and would-be potential stakeholders. As that effort grew, the credible promise that they would deliver resources and assets to te community attracted significant pledges, which became donations when the campaign was announced publicly.

5

All I'm saying here is, there may be something to learn by comparative analysis. I certainly do not want to imply any proposal for organizational affiliation. I do however believe earnest and curious inquiry into their success might be valuable.

6

I remain curious about the possibilities for Sudo might explore around more proactive inclusiveness regarding membership while holding its principles

Danny