[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

Andrew andrew at roshambomedia.com
Fri Mar 28 10:21:31 PDT 2014

I also don't really know much about the hub, beyond the discussion here.
But, I want to comment about the idea that "hacker culture" is something
that is being appropriated. Pretty much every aspect of "hacker culture"
was appropriated a long time ago.

For example, if you are talking about the Steven Levy's Hackers (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers:_Heroes_of_the_Computer_Revolution )
or more specifically the TMRC MIT "hackers" who coined the word, keep in
mind that these people were in college. They didn't have real jobs, not out
of some ethic, but because they were full time college students at MIT.
Sure some of the original og hackers championed the free software movement
and famously spoke out against one of their own, Bill Gates, deciding to
make money form code (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists), but in the end
a lot of the computer hobbyists joined huge corporations
or ended up helping to start them. The idea of a start-up needing a
"visionary" and a "hacker" isn't a modern .com concept, it started with
Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and ended up
amassing some of the largest fortunes on the planet.

If you are taking about the "hackers" who broke in computer systems (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_computer_security_hacker_history).
These people quickly became obsessed with attention and status. Which
eventual lead to huge arrests in the 90's (much like we saw recently with
luzsec), movies like Wargames and Hackers, and a twisted (in my view) ethic
that says that white hat hacking (hacking for corporations or the
government) is somehow more ethical than hacking in the spirit of
exploration and/or activism ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXk5xCM6PM ).

Hacker spaces came originally out of this second group, btw, with the most
famous example being The L0pht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L0pht ) which
started as a space for exploration, but quickly became a company for profit.

So lets not pretend that hacker culture is somthing pure and innocent we
need to protect at all costs. Do what you do, create new movements and
spaces, but the idea that we need to protect hacker culture is something
that would have been nice to have in 1976, but today doesn't really have
any meaning, at least in my view.

--Andrew

-------
Andrew Lowe