[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 01:00:33 PDT 2014

Im not entirely up on this 'Hub', but in my view, the economic question is
still being invisibilized. At 400 a month, who exactly is being served by
this Hub in our community? Employing people of color and having gender
balance, while great, does not address this question, namely the question
of creating a space for everyone including poor people, regardless if
creed, who could buy one laptop a month at that price.

When they opened, i swung by to find out what they were all about. I asked
if the woman of color behind the counter if they were a nonprofit, to which
she replied: "Oh no. We are DEFINITELY for-profit'. I remember coming into
Sudo and telling that to Anthony..

I worry that what we're seeing here is a way another way to monetize social
space, the IRL social space of hackers and the traditional subculture that
attends it. Its funny because I feel like bay area hackerspaces effervesced
in part as a response to the appropriation and corporatization of hacker
culture in the workplace, ie the viral business model adoption of 'startup
culture'. Now, hackerspaces themselves, once refuges of sorts, are being
recuperated (in the Situationist reading) or mythologized (in a
structuralist, Barthes-ian reading) by these same forces. Except that
theyre not hackerspaces, theyre 'co-working' spaces.. spaces with no
culture, except the fukture of work - finding work, 'networking', making
yourself more marketable - nothing 'wrong' with that per se, except that
its also a subtle if effective reframing of hacker culture into one thats
perhaps entirely framed by money and capital and helping yourself, rather
than learning cause its just fun, or helping others, or caring..or about
community in the traditional sense.

Ie it serms to me, albiet from afar, thst its far more a business, than a
community; a model, not a culture; about helping yourself, rather than
helping others.

Thats my worry anyway - not a critique as such, just my worry.