[sudo-discuss] Oakland gentrification is very well planned & executed

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:38:38 PDT 2014

I'm intrigued by this discussion, what's seemed odd to me for a while is
that the conversation seems to be very one sided, i.e. all
gentrification is bad, yet what about if it isn't? What if a rising tide
lifts all boats?

I came across an article a while back that was published on NPR (not
known for being biased one way or the other) which discussed the data
which actually tended to support the positive aspects of gentrification
for residents of poorer neighborhoods. It's worth a read:

"We're finding that the financial health of original residents in
gentrifying neighborhoods seems to be increasing, as compared to
original residents in nongentrifying, low-priced neighborhoods," says
Daniel Hartley, a research economist with the bank."
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/22/264528139/long-a-dirty-word-gentrification-may-be-losing-its-stigma

I would also make the argument that spaces like Sudo Room, Public
Schools, LOL space, Counter Culture labs and etc actually make a net
positive impact for the entire community and yet do have a gentrifying
effect. We have much work yet to do but communal spaces, open education
and the maker movement have the potential to empower many communities
and I say that as someone that hopes to do more to help lift others up,
I think most of us are of the same mindset?

Upwards and Onwards!
Ryan