[sudo-discuss] Oakland gentrification is very well planned & executed

Ryan Bethencourt ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:49:19 PDT 2014

Marc I know you have a belief in moving technology that helps people and
increases access for all and act on it, which I fully support and
partner with you on where I can. I believe in putting people first too
but I'm not against the profit motive, especially if it's driven by a
mission to do broader good.

I don't however agree with your view on google or engineers that work
for google. I've met some really great people who work at google and are
very giving of their time and resources to help their local communities
and I'm sure there are some who are part of the Sudo community who do
likewise. I think it does us no good to speak in exclusionary terms of
any group of people, I think it's okay to criticize an individual for
their actions if they're not being excellent to people or animals but
whenever we clump people into groups we risk doing exactly what we're
against, which is being exclusionary.

I know you're not exclusionary, I just wanted to make sure there's a
clear voice in the discussion that welcomes all people, Google engineer
or not, to Sudo room to come and help us make the community and world
better through technology.

Be excellent to each other (I like that line) :)

Ryan

    Google engineers are being vilified and yet I think it's a failure
    of governmental institutions to develop adequate policies to ensure
    a full range of housing and services are available for those who
    need it most and not engineers who are just looking for a decent
    place to live at a reasonable price.

Google engineers are responsible for their own actions and allegiances,
regardless of failures of governmental institutions. It matters how you
spend your time in this world and which organizations and projects you
spend your time supporting, and if you spend your time supporting huge
top-down for-profit corporations with questionable ethics while
receiving major personal benefits, then I'm going to assume that you've
prioritized personal gain over collaboration for the benefit of the
local and global community, and I'm going to judge you for that. If you
then contribute to actions that push out the less fortunate from their
homes, well then fuck you. Google engineers can read the news just like
everybody else and know what their selfish choice to live in SF is doing
to others. Yes its true that the government should not be allowing this
to happen, but that does not free anyone from their personal
responsibility to be excellent to others. Just because something is
legal does not mean it is right and the more power a person has, the
more responsibility they should display in how they wield that power.

Marc Juul wrote:
> We are not trying to be inclusive of everyone. We are trying very
> deliberately to exclude profiteering assholes who put their own
> personal benefit first.

Ryan Bethencourt

Tel:(415) 825 2705
ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com <mailto:ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com>