[sudo-discuss] Oakland gentrification is very well planned & executed

Jehan Tremback jehan.tremback at gmail.com
Mon May 12 19:06:43 PDT 2014

Actually, anyone who rents space gentrifies by definition, as their demand
in the market pushes prices up. This goes for all of us.

Sudo, and many of the people involved in the community gentrify even more
than the average person. I lived in West Oakland about 7 years ago when it
was pretty much non-gentrified. I wasn't living there because the sweet
open source community, or the hipster coffeeshops (Actual Cafe, that other
place downtown, and many others at this point). I wasn't living there
because of the oh-so-indie art boutiques, or precious vegan donut bakeries.
None of that stuff existed at that point. I was living there because it was
the only place that I could afford.

All of this hipster cultural stuff, sudo room definitely included, makes
Oakland more desirable to people who have a choice about where to live.
People who actually WANT to live in Oakland, and moved there <5 years ago,
are the very definition of gentrification. Doesn't matter if you're an
underground hackertyper fighting the man, a renegade yarnbomber, or even an
activist kombucha liberator. If you engage in actions that make a
neighborhood a more desirable place to live, people will want to live
there. They will look for apartments, and rent will go up. Some people who
were living there because it was the only place they could afford will be
pushed out by the higher prices. This is cause and effect.

Ironically, the people who yell loudest about gentrification are the first
wave gentrifiers who make it all happen.

The solution to a lack of housing? More housing.