[sudo-discuss] Oakland gentrification is very well planned & executed

Jeremy Entwistle jwentwistle at cryptolab.net
Sun May 11 19:06:17 PDT 2014

On 05/11/2014 03:39 PM, Ryan Bethencourt wrote:

> Good points Sam and I agree that any improvements in neighborhoods
> should be inclusive to ensure that a broad range of residents (not
> just middle to high income) can continue to be part of the community,
> it's after all the diversity that enriches our community both
> racially, artistically and creatively. A big part of that is ensuring
> that a broad range of housing is available for all budgets (which
> cities like SF have failed to deliver on, which appears to be due to
> strong anti-growth mentalities which prices those who can least afford
> it out).
>
> Saying that, *I'm just not a fan of how the term gentrification is
> being used, it seems divisive to me*, them and us, if we're a
> community space, surely we should embrace all of those who wish to add
> to the community and share their skill sets (regardless of race,
> income, creed or gender preferences and hold to non-discrimination).

This is a tactic used by governments and corporations.
http://www.popularresistance.org/heres-how-the-corporations-defeat-political-movements/

Ideally, there would be no borders or division between us. Ideally, we
wouldn't label anybody as an outsider. I don't know how to build these
communities if we consistently draw our attention away from planning and
building something we share together, but focus on who to blame based on
their ethnicity, sex, gender, etc.

I would love to see more conversation about acceptance, compassion, and
inclusiveness. Otherwise, I don't know how we're going to make that the
reality.