[sudo-discuss] Oakland gentrification is very well planned & executed

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Sun May 11 15:45:46 PDT 2014

Racism plays a fundamental role in the gentrification process, but I think
in the opposite way you are thinking of. The 1st comment on the article
above puts it nicely: todays whites are less racist, they are more willing/
think it's normal to live around black people or other ppl of color.
One of the many factors that depresses and as been depressing property
values in black neighborhoods is racism. Black neighborhoods are perceived
by both whites and blacks as "worse" than white neighborhoods with similar
income levels and similar crime rates. As people get less racist, their
perceptions of working class black neighborhoods improve. Property values
can rise, people can start to feel like opening a business is a good idea
etc.
Let's remember how the black ghettos in American cities were created in the
first place: blacks moved into working class white neighborhoods in the
40s, 50s, 60s. The racist whites on the one hand wanted to get away from
their new neighbors, and on the other hand had access to easy credit to buy
brand new houses in the suburbs. So they fled. The sudden mass sell offs
tanked property values, leaving the remaining black homeowners owners of
newly depreciated assets.
If we could go back in time, and be magicians, would we say, "hey whites,
don't be racist and leave! Hey government, don't build a bunch of sprawl!"
We would prevent the creation of the ghettos we now have: neighborhoods
characterized by LACK of diversity, under-maintained buildings and a lack
of businesses. Instead we would have neighborhoods with many races, many
business, no abandoned houses, and houses well maintained because property
values are steady.

That is what a neighborhood looks like in the absence of racism, and that
is what neighborhoods formerly decimated by racism are starting to look
like, now that we're a few generations beyond Jim Crow. Ironically,
progressives are somehow heartbroken by these results of the decline of
racism, instead of seeing a long awaited correction, it looks like a new
injustice.