[sudo-discuss] Redirect of the "Gentrification" Thread into a more encompassing awareness.

Tony Barreca tony.barreca at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:18:23 PDT 2014

With all respect, Oren, limiting a discussion of gentrification to rent
levels strikes me as a bit reductionist.  It a gnarly, complex problem,
seems to me, and rather the antithesis of taking the "...thread to a more
encompassing awareness..."  I.e., seems less encompassing, and considerably
so.

Whether or not it's appropriate for this list I'll leave for others to
decide, but I do have $0.02 to contribute on that point: I've seen lots of
other discussions over the past 2 years on this that were at least as
inappropriate, if not more so.

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Marina Kukso <marina.kukso at gmail.com>wrote:

> is this discussion appropriate to this list?
>

> would be a great discussion for
> http://oaklandwiki.org/What_should_we_do_about_gentrification%3F and/or
> http://oaklandwiki.org/gentrification
>

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Hol Gaskill <hol at gaskill.com> wrote:
>
>> i think talking about stemming price inflation altogether inevitably
>> redirects to monetary policy
>>
>> couldn't find consistent info on "anti-fnord".  why don't you fill us in?
>>
>> on May 13, 2014, Sonja Trauss <sonja.trauss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Make sure Oakland builds fast enough to absorb new arrivals. >>On
>> Tuesday, May 13, 2014, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:>>There's a
>> set of presumptions that can inherently defy our best efforts at
>> redirection>even when we can offer concrete factual refutations. >>
>> I unhesitatingly use the phrase "Breaking Set&Setting" as a most apt one,
>>  Call it>an "Anti-Fnord! so to speak... Do look up the ancestry of the
>> terms if they're not>old friends:)> >
>> Summary- We've a set and setting  that demands inflation of rents as if
>> it were desirable,>or even mandatory. the end result is inevitable yet NOT
>> mandatory.  Can we discuss>strategies to fix the Rent Problem? >

Tony Barreca
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybarreca
Skype: tonybarreca
Twitter: tbarreca