[sudo-discuss] WOSP – City of Oakland’s Plan for Gentrification: A Target For Anti-Displacement Activity : Indybay

Marcus Owens owens.marcus at gmail.com
Tue May 20 23:06:25 PDT 2014

I don't know about the bay area but the phenomenon of luxury buildings that
are scarcely inhabited is a function of the current market based in finance
and speculation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/nyregion/paying-top-dollar-for-condos-and-leaving-them-empty.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/world/europe/a-slice-of-london-so-exclusive-even-the-owners-are-visitors.html

Just pointing out that high-end development shouldn't be expected to
trickle down, at least within our lifetimes, or without radical political
change. These sorts of buildings won't be going up in West Oakland, though.

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Jehan Tremback <jehan.tremback at gmail.com>wrote:

> Marcus- Do you have some examples of these uninhabited luxury projects in
> the Bay Area?
>

> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Marcus Owens <owens.marcus at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Suburban living is not conducive generating value in an
>> innovation/cognitive economy. The suburbs, and the externality of time
>> spent in commute, like increasing privatization in other spheres, will be
>> the burden of the poor in the future.
>>
>> Just saying "rich people should live in the suburbs" is not only dumb but
>> it obscures the actual dynamics of what is driving contemporary urban
>> development. The mission was working class because a large labor force was
>> needed in the nearby working waterfront and industrial zones. That mode of
>> production is gone and isn't coming back.
>>
>> That's why as Sonja says we need to use the excess capital now to build
>> as much housing and infrastructure as possible in ways that is socially and
>> environmentally acceptable. Unlike Sonja I don't think speculative luxury
>> projects trickle down, but are rather flipped from investor to investor and
>> never inhabited.

>> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Andrew <andrew at roshambomedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Forcing people into the suburbs is bad for those people, and bad for
>>> the environment. If you're anti urban development, you're pro-freeway."
>>>
>>> I'm pro subway, we should have an actual one in the bay area. at this
>>> point rich people should be living in the suburbs not in the cities. I mean
>>> this is a tech boom. Which means for most jobs that are making a ton a
>>> money you can work anywhere, so work from your swanky apartment in Concord
>>> or Walnut Creek, not in The Mission. Makes sense to me.
>>>

>>> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM, The Doctor <drwho at virtadpt.net> wrote:

>>> --
>>> -------
>>> Andrew Lowe