[sudo-discuss] Agenda Item for next week's meeting: ONL is not a member collective.

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:26:50 PDT 2014

Hi Andrew and Batkid, the core issue is not the content of their show,
although it was distressing enough I felt the need to tack it on there.

The core issue is that they slashed their rent, do not participate at all
in delegate meetings, dont pay their bills, dont really help out even with
setting up their own shows. Its profoundly unfair, offloads work and
financial responsibility onto others, and if every collective did that
there would be no omni. I am saying that they are not member collective of
the omni.

Batkid and Andrew, given this, do you think they deserve to be full voting
delegates with as much voting power as Sudo Room or BAPS?

Re: Backspace, I would rather not bridge this conversation into other
examples, but yes, Backspace reduced its rent by 50% and this was also
extremely probelmatic and came very close to stopping us from moving into
the Omni...If you recall Andrew, at the time, the precident of ONL first
unilaterally slashing its rent was actually cited by Backspace at the time
as a justifying precedent and rationale for Backspace cutting back its
contribution, too. Now though, you're saying that Backspace cutting back
its contrib justifies ONL doing it beforehand which doesn't really make
sense. Neither decision, by Backspace or ONL, was actually officially
consensed on by the group, you know?

Unlike with ONL, the Backspace issue *was* discussed (although *not*
consensed nor brought to the point of decision) at a meeting, and more
germanely Backspace *did* continue to work with OOC to figure something
out, and, you will note, that now, Backspace is also *not* in its space,
and has to its credit figured out a plan at least to work more flexibly
within the rest of the building. And the OOC *is* able to rent at least
some of the space Backspace was going to be in and thereby make up the
$1000 of lost rent, ie via Rise Above, etc.

When Backspace slashed the amount of their rent literally as I was walking
into a financial presentation for John it made my job extremely difficult
and almost sank the project, so I don't know that this is the best example!

David