[sudo-discuss] Bubble

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:52:34 PDT 2015

Most excellent responses, folks!

Apologies for delay, but I'd like to reply to ya'll as I've been pondering
the bubble/burst over this week.

p.s. "Bubble/Burst" might be a good theme for an event or art show about
this topic...

p.p.s. Found some interesting opinions from "the crowd":
https://www.quora.com/What-was-Silicon-Valley-like-after-the-bubble-burst-in-the-early-2000s
(last updated ~1.5 years ago)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2231352 (~4 years ago)

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Autonomous <autonomous666 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You know, I have been building basic shelters for as long as I can
> remember. When I was 13 I built a treehouse on a vacant property nearby my
> home with debris found on construction sites. It became a clubhouse for the
> kids in the neighborhood, then runaway kids started to show up and spend
> the night there. They would tell stories of how they needed to escape from
> their parents who did absolutely awful things to them. I didn't know what
> else to do except lend an ear and bring them food and water. As strange as
> it may seem, my treehouse was the only place of refuge these kids had.

This is a powerful story, thank you for sharing. It encourages me to
remember that when we commune, we will be surprised by what confluence
occurs; we will grow from the stories, perspectives, and lives that we
reveal to each other.

> I attached a few photos of a property in development in San Rafael, called
> "Woodlands Sanctuary", and a photo of another property located further
> north called "Juniper Sanctuary", which will be developed next.

Thanks for sharing the photos too, I appreciate that the sacredness of a
"sanctuary" has an essence more powerful than the "tiny house",
"ecovillage", or even "commune" rhetoric folks today may use for atypical
or non-normative forms of shelter.

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Brandon Curtis <brandon.curtis at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> It sounds like you SHOULD teach a seminar on the subject.  Or at least
>> write something up!
>>
>> * -- Brandon*

Hard to beat a direct request like that ;) Indeed, hacking on shelter as a
resilience strategy (more robust to economic recession than wage-slavery)
would be an amazing workshop opportunity!

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:15 PM, johanna faust <female.faust at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "all the decadence and avarice now will seem like a hazy impossible
>> dream"

I dwelled on the same sentence, Faust ;) it's poetry!