[sudo-discuss] Gratipay Payout and Internet Archive Federal Credit Union deposit issue

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 16:24:21 PDT 2015

Hey all,

We had some issues getting Gratipay (our donation service provider at
https://gratipay.com/sudoroom) to work with their payment processing
Balanced Payments to make successful payouts (transactions) to our bank
account with IAFCU, the Internet Archive Federal Credit Union, aka the
Internet Credit Union.

Now, the issues should be resolved. I am waiting to see the credit appear
in our IAFCU account records, but I got confirmation that Gratipay
successfully transacted the payout today via Balanced Payments.

These were the primary issues, which took substantial digging to figure out:

   1. There seem to be some federal regulations that required our credit
   union to explicitly post payments to either our savings or our checking
   account, without ambiguity. This is done by adding a suffix to our account
   number for any given transaction, i.e. add "000" to correspond to our
   savings account.
   2. However, also, when this suffix is appended to our account number,
   there must also be a matching value that corresponds to "savings" or
   "checking" called a "TRANS code". Unfortunately, gratipay did not expose
   this value option in their interface, despite it being supported by
   Balanced Payments's API.

We should now have the correct suffix and the correct TRANS code that
matches to deposit gratipay payouts to our savings account at IAFCU.

Whew.

// Matt