[sudo-discuss] Accessibility Liaison?

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:34:12 PDT 2015

There are a few pages online that provide recommendations for building
materials for people with multiple chemical sensitivities.

*http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/helping-people-multiple-chemical-sensitivity
<http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/helping-people-multiple-chemical-sensitivity>*
Recommendations to architects and builders

If you are tempted to take on a client with multiple chemical sensitivity,
here are some guidelines:

   - Don’t give health advice. Remember, you are not a doctor.
   - Don’t make any health claims for a house you build.
   - Don’t propose specific materials as “safe.” It’s better to say, “If
   you or your doctor provides a list of the substances that need to be
   avoided, I’ll do my best to comply with that list.”
   - Manage expectations from the start. Make no promises related to your
   client’s symptoms.
   - Be sure to include a great deal of extra time in your construction
   schedule for materials research and selection. A useful resource with
   information on the ingredients found in building materials is the Pharos
   database <http://www.pharosproject.net/> maintained by the Healthy
   Building Network.

What materials should be avoided?

Since some people with multiple chemical sensitivity become ill when they
smell shampoo, it’s basically impossible to come up with a list of “safe”
building materials. That said, here are oft-repeated recommendations noted
by other writers:

   - Ceramic tile is better than carpet.
   - Linoleum is better than sheet vinyl.
   - Low-VOC paints are better than conventional paints.
   - Solid-wood furniture or cabinets are better than furniture containing
   particleboard or plywood.
   - It’s best to omit wood-burning stoves and fireplaces.

*http://www.nkba.org/Learn/Homeowners/Tips/Safety/DesigningAndBuildingWithChemicalSensitivity.aspx*
<http://www.nkba.org/Learn/Homeowners/Tips/Safety/DesigningAndBuildingWithChemicalSensitivity.aspx>

Common irritants include: cleaning agents (*bleach*, soaps and detergents),
paints, and varnishes (including sealants, caulks and glues), as well as
upholstery, carpet, furniture and cabinetry that have been treated or
manufactured with common chemicals such as formaldehyde resins (a known
carcinogen), pesticides and other toxic solvents.

   - Natural hard surface flooring such as cork, linoleum, wood or tile
   instead of carpeting, laminate or vinyl to minimize off-gassing and the
   harboring of dust mites, mildew and/or bacteria.

   - *Low/No VOC paints and finishes over their high VOC brethren – look
   for third party certifications such as Green Seal (www.greenseal.org
   <http://www.greenseal.org>) or Green Guard (www.greenguard.org
   <http://www.greenguard.org>) for assurance of low VOC levels.*

   - Vintage furniture has likely already off-gassed its toxic components
   so consider buying used. If new furnishings is what you need, look for a
   manufacturer’s membership in the Sustainable Furnishings Council (
   www.sustainablefurnishings.org) which promotes the manufacturing of
   sustainable, low toxicity products.

   - Stock or semi-custom cabinetry that has earned the Environmental
   Stewardship Program seal from the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association
   (KCMA - www.greencabinetsource.org).

   - Custom made cabinetry and furniture that uses only no added
   formaldehyde plywood, particle board and/or medium density fiber board
   (MDF) along with low VOC finishes and adhesives.

   - Countertop materials that don’t contain high VOC glues, resins or
   other toxic binding agents and can be maintained without the use of high
   VOC sealants and cleaning agents.

   - Untreated natural fibers such as wool, cotton, jute, etc. rather than
   synthetic fiber materials for window coverings and furnishings.

   - Materials that do not require toxic cleaning agents for routine
   maintenance.

   - Analyze and supplement, where necessary, the home’s ventilation
   including upgrading kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, installing a filter
   on a forced air furnace and/or installing a room air exchanger.

Patrik