[sudo-discuss] dance and creative events happening at the omni alongside SudoRoom: Omni makes you think!

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Sat Aug 8 10:56:23 PDT 2015

There's a critical theory and fitness series going on throughout the summer
with the group Heavy Breathing. I'm just writing this because often the
Omni is so large, people visit SudoRoom and then they say "Oh there isn't a
lot going on here" or "I'd like to know more of what's happening"

facebook.com/heavyheavybreathing

It's pretty cool - some of their sessions were in the park in Oakland and
at various creative spaces, but they have an event today and they had an
event two weeks ago at the Omni Disco room. Even though it wasn't at the
SudoRoom, it's cool that I can just walk up and downstairs to attend these
events.

It's cool that there are dancers in the same building as the SudoRoom, and
that these kinds of events happen. I think the series pokes fun at the
current obsessions Americans have with fitness, wherein people try to find
some kind of religious and spiritual fulfillment or social identity through
their yoga and crossfit classes.

the series was featured recently in New Yorker magazine:
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/sweating-to-sappho

I don't think they poke fun at it in a mean way, but it's something to
think about, especially as these gym classes push a "spiritual" message
while maintaining themselves as capitalist, chain store type entities whose
only aim is to make money. When someone is pretending to be your friend and
spiritual guidance counselor but is part of a corporate template fitness
system (think of Zumba), that raises larger questions, and it also
illuminuates the future

Tonight there's another session of Heavy breathing at the Omni, and I'm
going to attend it in-between my session learning at the CyberWizard
Institute.
It looks like it's going to be fun!

I should make this a blog post and clean it up, but my point is that having
this large building at the Omni enables people of different creative bents
and ideologies to hang out with each other and collaborate.

much love!

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com