[sudo-discuss] Can someone please donate Cat6 Shielded cable?

Charley Sheets rcsheets at acm.org
Tue Aug 25 01:01:26 PDT 2015

Hey Daniel,

I am interested in helping out, but I have to admit I'm fairly
skeptical of two elements of this request, so I'd like to get some
clarification if possible.

First thing: shielded cable. My understanding is that most of the noise
rejection comes from the twists, not the shielding, and that shielded
cable is only useful in high-EMI environments. Am I mistaken about the
application, or are we perhaps in a high-EMI environment? The standard
example of high EMI is something like a factory floor. Shielding also
only works as intended if the mating connectors (jacks and whatnot) are
also shielded. Does that apply here? My inclination is to donate
standard (UTP) cat6 cable. Please help me understand why I should
donate shielded cable instead.

Here is some information (could be biased -- it's from a cable
supplier) about the differences as they apply to cat6a:
http://mirapath.com/blog/item/cat6a-shielded-or-unshielded

Second thing: hand termination. You've stated a preference for a box of
several hundred feet of cable. To me that implies that you'd prefer to
hand terminate the cable rather than having pre-terminated cables. I
certainly won't make any claims about your personal ability to
terminate cables, but most people are not especially skilled at this,
and many hand terminated cables I've seen in the field are visibly not
well made. I've terminated cat5 and cat5e cable, and it's always been
very fiddly and challenging for me to minimize the untwisted distance,
and to ensure there are no open pins. Pre-terminated cable is
available with strain relief boots and is often certified to be
complaint with the relevant cabling standard. What do you see as the
advantage of spools of cable? Why not buy pre-terminated cable?

I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical. Sorry if it does. I
really just want to make sure we get exactly what we need.
--
Charley Sheets