[sudo-discuss] Can someone please donate Cat6 Shielded cable?

max b maxb.personal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:38:00 PDT 2015

Hey Charley,

You're more than welcome to donate money (or time) if that's more up your
alley. Also, if you want to donate UTP cat6, we'll take that as well. We
use a bunch of ethernet cable both at the omni and for other installations,
so we can always use more. If you're feeling really generous, we can really
use shielded outdoor cat5 and cat6 for installing antennas. Don't worry -
no matter what kind of ethernet cabling you feel like donating, we can
almost certainly find a use for it :)

As for the questions you've outlined:

First thing: shielded cable

This isn't actually an ethernet run. It's dsl lines + phone lines running
over cat copper wires. As such, it's my understanding that it's more
sensitive to EMI disturbance. Additionally, it's much better to err on the
safe side as we'll only want to string this once and the entire network
communications infrastructure depends on the dsl signal that passes through
this line. As for needing shielded mating jacks, we have plenty of grounded
rj-45 connectors and with whatever other scenarios, it's pretty easy to
ensure that they're grounded. We're not talking about our entire network
infrastructure, we're just talking about this one cable run.

Second thing: hand termination

We're using an EZ RJ-45 crimper, which makes the process fairly
straightforward. We have spools of other types of ethernet cables and have
done runs throughout the building. Also - we'll be breaking out these pairs
anyhow, so most of this is fairly non standard types of termination which
are much easier than rj-45 disconnects.

Daniel, let us know if I missed anything here?

Max