[sudo-discuss] ian moon banned

Patrick O'Doherty p at trickod.com
Tue Aug 25 15:12:52 PDT 2015

we made a couple of changes that have all worked together.

firstly we stopped keeping the upper door (noisebridge is on 3rd floor
of a building with an effectively public entrance) closed instead of
jammed open. It cannot be opened without a key or RFID token from the
outside, but can be done so from the inside. There's a doorbell posted
at both the bottom gate and top door which people can ring to get access
into the space.

Members and Philanthropists have 24/7 access to the space using an RFID
access system which allows the bottom gate and the top door to be opened
by presenting a token to the RFID reader.

Members can give out RFID tokens (or add someone's existing token like a
Clipper card) to the system granting 30 day "public hour" access to
users anonymously. The act of adding someone to the system is
deliberately quite easy, as it's intended to give folks easier access to
the space once they're known to the community. The access expires after
30 days at which point it can be renewed by another member.

It's also possible to have non-expiring slightly expanded hour access
for folks who give some amount of contact details (the name that they
prefer to be called an an email) so that folks don't need to continually
ask for their access to be renewed.

The RFID notes when the door opens / closes, but it *does not log the
individual comings and goings of users*. Really want to stress this
point: There's no way to tell when someone comes and goes from the logs.

These physical changes were accompanied by some cultural changes. As I
mentioned earlier, if you're welcoming someone into the space it's
considered excellent to introduce yourself, ask if it's their first time
at Noisebridge, offer to give them a tour, explain Noisebridge and the
ethos of the space etc... such that folks have an understanding of what
Noisebridge is, what goes on in the space, and the very basic what's
excellent and not so excellent.

All of the code, hardware specs, and designs are on Github @
https://github.com/hzeller/rfid-access-control.

hopefully that's a helpful description of the system we have in place at
noisebridge. it was a relatively long project, especially with helping
create the cultural expectations about introducing folks to the space
and also asking those who are unexcellent to leave.

Stephen Whitmore: