[sudo-discuss] [sudo-info] GoDaddy Renewal Notice

Devin Chalmers devin at doormouse.org
Sat Aug 29 19:05:19 PDT 2015

I’ve registered and maintained a lot of domains and transferring registrars is not trivial on the best days. IMO our best/least likely to wreck plain is this—

1. Before expiration in November, regain control of the name in GoDaddy:
  - Pester register person some more
  - At the same time, begin sending any documentation of our legitness to GoDaddy: a written recognition of “sudoroom” as a legal entity which is us (DBA etc.) would be a good place to start, if it already exists.
  - Try and guess the password, social engineering, etc. (ha ha, just kidding)

One way or another, we will get access to the domain, and renew it, at GoDaddy.

2. Once that’s behind us, we begin the process of transferring the domain onto a proper (no single-person-of-failure, but also 2FA, all that good stuff) Gandi account. Probably a new account just for this domain. We might have to double-pay for a year at some point, so it goes. Very boring. But it will work.

3. Blackhole any other sudoroom.* domains for now (no parking pages, no redirects, no nothing). We’re sudoroom.org <http://sudoroom.org/>. (Though Adam’s point about search rankings if we do end up losing .org is a good one)

This would probably all seem much simpler if everyone was in the same room. Maybe… a sudo room? dot org??

I’m out of town for a while but would be happy to take point on some of this stuff when I’m back.