[sudo-discuss] Keep Omni safe and secure over the holidays

Laura Turiano scylla at riseup.net
Tue Dec 15 17:05:57 PST 2015

(/Don't know what happened with the very small text! Trying again)/
Friends,

At the Commons working group meeting we were discussing how, last year,
over the winter holidays, many of the people who usually spent time at
the Omni were not around. What resulted was people without an interest
in taking care of the Omni and our community entering the space,
engaging in conflict, and ignoring community agreements.

With that in mind, we would like to ask Omni collective members who are
in town over the next several weeks to come by the space on a regular
basis and check the building to make sure everything is secure and that
the space is being used appropriately. All the doors (Ballroom, main
entrance, and the two 48th St doors) should be locked at all times
unless there is a member of a member collective keeping a door unlocked
for a particular reason (such as loading, or an event) and someone is
keeping a eye on who is coming into the building.

Please remember that non-members can only be in the building as guests
of a member. If you let someone into the space, you are taking
responsibility for them.

>From omnicommons.org/wiki/building:
Only members of member collectives are granted 24-hour access to the space.
Members are asked to not occupy the space without at least one other
member present for safety reasons.
Members are not obligated to let non-members in to the space at any time.
Members may ask non-members to leave the space at any time, for any reasons.

If your collective is hosting an event or class, one of your
responsibilities is to make sure everyone leaves after the event is over.

Please ensure members of your collective understand this information.
And please sign up for an ongoing door shift here:
https://ethercalc.com/omni-front-desk.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work and friendship over the past year.

Laura, for the Commons working group