[sudo-discuss] [CCL] Free Scanning Electron Microscope in Pleasanton! (was Fwd: [Microscopy] viaWWW:SMI3200 FIB system looking for a good home)

Nathan McCorkle nmz787 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:48:17 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com> wrote:
> DOH! Thank Nathan - that would be a huge difference. I got fooled by the
> fact that the several listings on caeonline.com all call it a FIB SEM
> system:
>
> http://www.caeonline.com/listing/product/9095358/seiko-smi-3200
> http://www.caeonline.com/listing/product/67711/seiko-smi-3200
> http://www.caeonline.com/listing/product/9025735/seiko-smi-3200
>
> Don't these things usually allow some secondary electron imaging as well
> though?

Yes, the imaging electronics is the same as a scanning electron
microscope, the beam scan electronics probably a bit different but
mostly the same ideas (using electrical or magnetic fields to scan the
beam).

> If it doesn't have any imaging capabilities, I doubt that we would want this
> beast. Would be good to check this with the owner though...

Yep, I'm guessing this has imaging... it would be pretty hard to focus
to <5nm without some feedback to check edges for!