[sudo-discuss] Letter of Resignation

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:47:19 PDT 2015

Friends,

Friday will be my last day in the Omni for an indefinite period of time
while I address a couple of personal issues that are bound up with my
increasingly problematic behavior, aggression, stress, anxiety,
interpersonal conflicts, and burnout.

I realize that I take my leave at a critical juncture, and intend to
continue remotely helping with the following:
* Building/Finance bookkeeping
* Ethnographic research of other commons-based projects
* Legal entity research and fundraising work
* Several of Omni's IndieGoGo perks
* Brainstorming on a new booking/calendar system
* Procuring necessary documents from David Keenan and organizing them at
htps://omnicommons.org/cloud
* Visioning (I believe my distance will enable a more coherent perspective
to contribute to these important conversations)
* Followup and resolution of all outstanding working group action items
(primarily for Commons, Building, Fundraising aka 'Until the Revolution',
and Finance).
* sudo mesh <https://sudomesh.org> documentation, finances, regular email
updates, organizing node mounts and public outreach (i realize i've been
dropping the ball on this but would like to shift my focus back to other
projects dear to my heart)

Things I've been responsible for that others will need to step up to help
with include:
* Paying sudo's rent / utilities / insurance bills,
* Finance updates at weekly sudo meetings,
* Acting as an Omni delegate for sudo room,
** Omni proposals and announcements at sudo room meetings,
* Regular Costco runs for general Omni supplies such as toilet paper, dish
soap, etc;
* Purchasing materials for building-related projects,
* Helping with many events renting space
<https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Booking_System> at the Omni,
* Maintaining the ever-buggy Omni calendar
<https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Calendar_System>,
* Co-facilitating monthly Open Circle meetups
<https://omnicommons.org/connect> with Antoinette, supporting families of
victims of police violence,
* Weekly front door shifts (Thursdays 2-6pm) and pestering Omninoms to
volunteer to be a front door greeter,
* Documenting working group meeting minutes on the wiki and general wiki
maintenance,
* Various communications and relationships I intend to hand off to the
appropriate people,
* Organizing work parties for Building projects,
* Creating a direct point of contact with neighbors around the Omni,
* Figurehead role of Secretary of the Board of the Omni Commons and Board
Member on behalf of sudo room.

Things I've already dropped the ball on:
* Proper onboarding of new sudoroom members
* Monthly Cryptoparties <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Cryptoparty> (Third
Sundays in sudo)
* Facilitating the Welcoming working group
<https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Welcoming_Committee>
* Facilitating the Communications working group
<https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Communications_Working_Group>

I love you all very much. Please know that I'm not doing this out of spite
but rather out of love for this project, this community, and myself. I
apologize to anyone I've hurt over the course of this project and hope to
recontinue building and dreaming with you all once I've healed myself and
risen to a better place than where I've been.

I will be at the community meeting tomorrow evening to discuss the
Fundraising WG's proposals for moving forward to buy the building, and
Friday evening to help out with the Digital Detox event that will be
utilizing much of the building. I will be travelling in Europe and visiting
my family for the entirety of August. Please get in touch directly if you'd
like to talk about anything.

With love and solidarity forever,
Jenny

Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California!
https://omnicommons.org/donate

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé