[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [sudo-info] reaching out from google.org regarding an assistive technology hackathon

Ryan yandoryn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:30:06 PDT 2015

Oh my fucking god. I really, really hate this response.

First of all, this entire idea revolves around the idea that there are no
disabled folks in tech. That the only way tech advances can happen is if we
get together the "need-knowers" and those with the "skills" can we find
"solutions" to the "problem" of disability. Yes, there are a lot of
scare-quotes in there. It's because I'm rolling my eyes so fucking hard
right now. It's stupidly infantilizing. On top of that, Google is
specifically saying they don't want to deal with solutions we can do now,
they want to come up with "new and innovative" solutions, which separate
the disabled community further, Otherizing them, and not countering the
social model of disability.

What do I want them to do?

I'd first of all like them to actually engage with the disabled community
before going out with their hearts on their sleeves with the sob story of
what disability is like to show everyone how much Google cares. Because
honestly, that's all I see in this. "Google cares so much about the
disabled community that they're interested in coming up with solutions that
can't be realized right now." And in doing so, they're ignoring the fact
that there are so many things they, Google, could be doing right now to
actually help the disabled community with technology that is stable and
exists, rather than "help us out" with "cutting-edge" technology.

They could make it easier to access transcripts of YouTube videos.
They could identify where there are, and aren't, curb cuts on streets.
They could identify where there are crosswalks.
Where there are lights to cross a busy street.
They could see what businesses have a universal access sign in their window.

And those are things that they could easily do with their own technology
that I can think of off the top of my head that would simply help me.

But no, they don't want me to identify those needs because they're not
"innovative" and the technology isn't exciting enough.

Why do they need to use more exciting technology? Because that's the shit
that hits the papers. There's a reason you hear about exoskeletons and 3D
printed prostheses in the news. They're exciting to able-bodied,
neurotypical people who want to simultaneously feel good and be able to
ignore the disabled community.

You know what would be fucking revolutionary? What if Google did a
hackathon for disabled techies? Rather than making the disabled community
ingratiated to those wonderful techies who reach out with all their charity
in order to help those who are under-privileged? That entire fucking
narrative is what I deal with every day. When I need help, I fucking ask
for it. But here's the irony: when I do need help, half the time I don't
get it. And when I don't need help, I constantly have it forced on me by
people in "good faith" who feel that their drive to help me is more
important than my desires or needs.

Also, calling overt ableism a "misstep" is really fucking gross. Really
gross.