[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Rannette attacked someone physically for the second time

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 00:29:31 PDT 2015

Hey all,

Thanks for your message, Niki, a few responses are in-line below:

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM, niki <niki.shelley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't believe we have an explicit policy re: cops but we should probably
> articulate one.

Here's a little write-up from an old omni commons email thread that I've
added to the wiki for reference: "Cops at the Door: A How-To"
https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Cops_at_the_Door

Jenny may have another useful document as well...

> Regarding this particular conflict, I just went and met with Ranette.
>
> First of all, I want it to be 100% clear that this email is not meant to
> condone Ranette's behavior or the ways in which she handles confrontation
> or engages in transphobic attacks.

Crystal clear, my comments reflect this understanding as well.

However, to be clear, I want to underscore that the reasons I told Ranette
for why she is not welcome in the building is that she threatened violence
toward a third party (not Morgan), and even made physical contact with this
third party in a violent and threatening manner. There may be other safer
space policy or cultural issues at stake here, but above all the Omni
Commons must maintain a safe, welcoming environment where participants do
not suffer threats and *acts* of physical violence. I contacted the third
party to communicate our policies, and to inform them that (though not
required) they may engage in our conflict resolution process that could
include mediation, as well as a restorative justice approach.

> You, Morgan, need to accept accountability for continuing to engage in
> provocative micro-aggressions and gaslighting - particularly with those who
> are different from you and who may not possess the best coping mechanisms /
> most radical politics. I really believe that you intentionally push people
> you don't like and who you know will react badly in an attempt to get them
> banned from the space.

I'd like to also ask that you think about the ways in which you repeatedly
> police people in the space in ways such as inserting yourself into private
> phone conversations.

We don't need cops, we need people who are compassionate towards one
> another's differences and who are willing to work through those differences
> to arrive at some kind of common ground.

Thank you for saying this, I have not been able to coordinate the words as
you have, but I feel this same sentiment very strongly. As I stated above,
as a member, I have personally focused my response to Ranette's violation
of our safer space policy toward the threats and acts of physical violence.
Further, I believe that Morgan's actions in this situation, and in several
similar provocations, require further examination and serious
accountability.

Since Morgan's sudo room membership application is currently being blocked,
I want to be clear that Morgan is not a member of any collective and should
have no entitlement to access the Omni Commons building at any time, except
as a guest hosted by at least one other member. At some point, due to
ambiguity and misunderstanding, Morgan received an access card. I will be
revoking this access privilege immanently.

> I don't personally know that reconciliation is possible either at this
> time, given our limited capacities and the level of aggression with which
> Ranette has responded however, I believe your behavior to be a major part
> of the problem.
>
> Another issue is the fact that the Omni is pretty maxed out with regards
> to our capacity for conflict mediation / resolution at the moment. Both
> Morgan and Ranette told me that they'd asked for mediation from several
> people including the mediation mailing list and no one ever followed up
> with either of them. I don't really know what to do about this but it
> should be made clear to members of our community that they cannot rely on
> us at the time for mediation / resolution.
>
> I told Ranette I would inquire about mediation. Obviously others involved
> in this conflict must be willing to participate, a well if there's to be
> any kind of resolution, which, I understand, some might not be interested
> in pursing.

I have a similar perspective here and I do not believe mediation will be
possible at this time as well. We can always encourage understanding and
reconciliation, but it is a mark of true strength to rise to occasions like
this to seek resolution over division.

In this exchange, there has been no victory for anyone, we have all lost,
and we all suffer the consequences.

Love and solidarity,
Matt