[sudo-discuss] call for safer spaces ban on Rannette

niki niki.shelley at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:04:02 PDT 2015

Elliot, I love you but I gotta say, all of these calls for permanent bans
w/out taking the time to understand the context of the conflicts or the
humans involved in them is really exhausting. I don't know if you are aware
of the enormous amount of work that is hoisted upon someone else every time
someone is banned from the space. The reconciliation process can take
months, if not longer, and are incredibly taxing on people who are already
overloaded.

Now, I am not condoning Ranette's reaction but, I would suggest that there
are much more complex, intersectional concerns at play here and I would ask
you to investigate them before calling for bans on people.

The person who Ranette "attacked" recently disrespected and, I might say,
jeopardized this project by randomly showing up to an event he had no
affiliation with and setting up a bar and selling alcohol - we could be
heavily fined for selling liquor without a permit. He has visited multiple
micro aggressions on multiple other people in the space, including making
racist comments directed at Ranette. The real issue here is why no one is
making the space safe for underprivileged women of color and defending them
when they are experiencing this kind of abuse.

It's not surprising to me that a woman of color who has been mistreated in
the space would dismiss anyone who hasn't taken the time to get to know her
and made an attempt to defend her in these situations. I have intervened
myself in interactions that Ranette has had with people and, as much as I
may dislike the way that she can go from 0-60, I understand that she's
living w/in a system of oppression that is far more fucked up than any of
us will probably ever be able to begin to comprehend. It's not my place to
share the personal details of Ranette's life here but please trust me when
I say that, in my opinion, she should be treated with compassion, not just
thrown away as women of color are so often w/in the dominant culture.

Perhaps in just calling for someone to be banned, you could take the time
to get to know them, where they come from and why they don't feel safe in
the space.

Perhaps you could initiate a group that explore alternative coping
mechanisms when people are dealing with extreme stress.

<3