[sudo-discuss] Hackers unite

Edward B. Rippy ed.rippy at mindspring.com
Thu May 28 15:39:19 PDT 2015

On 05/28/2015 10:01 AM, Autonomous wrote:
> Research shows that limitations in social interaction have more to do
> with the hardware of the brain rather than education, learning or the
> "software" of the brain. Or in other words, it is a type of physical
> disability.
-- I have very little confidence in this kind of research.  Modern
science denies the existence of spirit, or @ least considers it not a
subject for science, & so ignores it, which usually amounts to denying
it. OTOH, emotional/spiritual experiences do have physical effects, so
science, in its prejudice, concludes that these physical signs are "the
cause." Rupert Sheldrake is the only guy I know of who has figgered this
out, w/ the possible exception of Deepak Chopra. The result is a dead
end that does a *lot* of damage. One recent example of progress: British
researchers (I think) found that rat pups inherited conditioned fear:
specifically: they did a "Pavlov's dog" number w/ rose water & electric
shocks so that rats got scared of the smell of rose water. Then they
bred then, and found that the children were scared of it before they had
any training. This torpedoes a sacred tenet of centuries' standing:
acquired characteristics cannot be inherited. But recent advances in
instrumentation have shown that experiences can generate molecules in
the cell that turn off genes, & @ least some of these molecules can stay
attached when the sperm or egg cells split their DNA (instrument
technology is just beginning to reveal this). It's called "epigenetic
inheritance."

    The article came out in "Lancet" a few months ago, as I recall.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi,
Ed Rippy