[sudo-discuss] Wikimedia Foundation Board election

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Sat May 30 20:29:51 PDT 2015

Hi all,

There's less than 24 hours to vote in the election for the Wikimedia
Foundation's Board of Trustees. This is a really important one, in my
opinion, and many others; in short, I believe the Foundation has been
suffering from never having prioritized understanding the social dynamics
in its volunteer base. That has been manifesting in many ways over the last
year or two. With three of 10 seats open, this is a good opportunity to
nudge things in a better direction. I wrote several blog posts about it,
here: http://wikistrategies.net/tag/trustee-election-2015/

In order to vote, you have to have at least 300 edits to Wikipedia or its
related projects -- 20 of them have to have been between last October and
April. (There are some other ways to qualify too, but that's the main one.)
All the voting info is here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/Board_elections/2015
Voting ends at 4pm Pacific on Sunday May 31.

Wikipedia is IMO the most widespread and in many ways most important
instances of "hacker culture" having an impact. I think it's important that
its social health be understood, and that such knowledge should have a
strong influence in the kind of planning and intervention the Foundation
does. Please take a look, and if you're eligible, vote!

Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]] on the wiki