[sudo-discuss] Arif Shaikh banned from Counter Culture Labs

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 00:35:25 PDT 2016

Just for the record:

Arif Shaikh showed up for the Open Insulin meetup at CCL this evening
(Aug/3/2016). We had discussed banning him at the Working Meeting
yesterday, but wanted to verify his ban status at BioCurious first. Maureen
talked to him, and he volunteered the information that he is currently
permanently banned from BioCurious, which makes our decision a bit easier.
(We would likely have banned him anyway otherwise, because several existing
CCL members had already indicated that he made them uncomfortable, and that
they would not feel safe having him work in the lab.)

Since CCL honors ban reciprocity with other hackerspaces, I pulled Arif
aside and informed him that he is automatically banned from CCL as well,
and therefore the entire Omni building. He would first have to resolve his
ban from BioCurious to be able to lift his ban at CCL. He may still
participate in projects online over zoom (didn't see a point in banning him
from that, or any way to enforce it anyway).

I did forget to mention that he should also update his LinkedIn status to
reflect that he is no longer an independent researcher at CCL and
BioCurious.

I've attached a picture from his LinkedIn page, which will be included on
the Omni Asked to Leave <https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Asked_to_Leave> page.

Patrik