[sudo-discuss] Session 1 - Python learning + data on domestic violence

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Mon Feb 22 17:29:36 PST 2016

Session 1 went well today! Hope to see you at the next session.

Super simple "no deep stuff" ;)

*Session 1 done today!*
https://github.com/romyilano/SudoRoom_Python_DomesticViolence#session-1---intro

Session 1 - Preparations

   - Get set up on your computer - Railsbridge is excellent, great people,
   great installation advice (Railsbridge Installation Guide)[
   http://docs.railsbridge.org/installfest/choose_your_operating_system]
   - Be comfortable with the command line - Learn Command line the hard way
   <http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/> *IMHO the more comfortable
   you get with the command line the better off you'll be in the short and
   long run*
   - Understand how to use git
   - Complete Learn Python the Hard Way
   <http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/> up until Lesson 20
   <http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ex20.html> -

<https://github.com/romyilano/SudoRoom_Python_DomesticViolence#session-1---the-doing-part>Session
1 - the Doing part

Open up the terminal on your computer.

   - *Don't know the terminal and command line? Go here
   <http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/>*

mkdir SudoLesson
cd SudoLesson

Now use git to clone the github repo
<https://github.com/romyilano/SudoRoom_Python_DomesticViolence> for this
workshop

git clone https://github.com/romyilano/SudoRoom_Python_DomesticViolence

   - *Don't know how to use git from the command line?* review cloning and
   the basics the simple guide <http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/>

cd SudoRoom_Python_DomesticViolence

write your first script in the python folder, name it intro_python.py

from sys import argv
script, filename = argv

in_file = open(filename)
indata = in_file.read()

print("Here's your file %r:" % filename)

print("The sample csv is %d bytes long" % len(indata))
input(" Return to continue >")

print("Now I'm going to print out all the data - it's very long!")
input(" Return to continue >")
print(indata)
input(" Return to continue >")

print("Closing the file")
in_file.close()

Run the script, we'll be using the sample.csv which is the spreadsheet of
crimes in the Oakland area in the past 90 days

python python/intro_python.py csv/sample.csv

Self-directed Learning Steps

   - Make 2 or 3 variations of this script
   - Redo the Learn to Code the hard way lessons
   - Download other csv files and read them
   -

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com