[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Calling All Makers for Maker Faire Bay Area 2016!

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sat Jan 9 17:43:42 PST 2016

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM, max b <maxb.personal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I might apply for our own table as sudomesh/peoplesopen.net, but I'm not
> 100% sure just yet. We need some more exposure to wealthy bay area nerds
> and it seems like probably a good spot for it. If sudoroom doesn't have
> enough people to staff their own table, we could see about going in 50-50...

I personally don't think it's worth the effort to staff a table there. It's
a ton of people looking to be entertained or looking for somewhere to drop
their kids for the summer. The amount of effort that goes into it vs. the
number of people who will actually give anything back (by becoming members
or similar) makes it a not so good deal. If you don't offer anything for
sale or anything for kids then the only thing you can really hope to gain
is an increase in the number of people who have heard about you. If we were
located in the south bay I might feel differently since there is a chance
of gaining members, but last time the only thing I got out of all of the
conversations (I was there for only one day) was a donation of a broken pcr
machine (that we did fix though) and a bit of advice on growing yeast. That
was not quite worth a long exhausting day of talking to people + the
commute. The only reason it makes sense for CCL is that we share a booth
with BioCurious and hopefully they get more out of it.

--
marc/juul