[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Calling All Makers for Maker Faire Bay Area 2016!

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:41:20 PST 2016

We do usually collect 50-100 new email addresses for our mailing list, and
there are always several people who discover us for the first time at the
Maker Faire and then start coming to some of our events. And yes, that's
true even for CCL. I think the fact that the MF is in San Mateo really
doesn't matter that much - visitors come from all over the Bay Area,
including a very substantial number from the East Bay.

The number of kids at the San Mateo Maker Faire has definitely grown in
recent years, but the main expo hall we've been in is still mainly aimed at
adult makers, hackers, engineers, scientists, tinkerers, crafters etc. Last
year we were adjacent to some scientists from the Monterey Bay Aquarium,
the NoiseBridge booth, and the big Game of Drones arena; and I think the
public we were getting was fairly well respresentative of those kinds of
topics.

In the past we've also gotten some good press coverage from being at Maker
Faire, maybe when DIYbio was still a bit more of a novelty.

Staffing a booth at MF is definitely not for everyone, but I do enjoy it. I
also love wandering around the MF, and I always encounter tons of other
people that do stuff that is relevant to me. Last year that included two
other bioprinter efforts, some cool modular DIYable microfluidics, several
bioreactors, and more.

Patrik