[sudo-discuss] Any web developers new to the game at SudoRoom?

Candace Lazarou candacelazarou at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:56:11 PDT 2016

Hey All, sorry so late on this thread - many of the Women Who Code and Girl
Develop IT workshops include parts of the night dedicated to inviting women
to meet with HR and staff engineers from the hosting company, for the
specific purpose of networking.  For instance, this one

http://www.meetup.com/Women-Who-Code-East-Bay/events/232603088/

I would suggest that she attend workshops rather than study groups for this
purpose.

As far as limiting attendance to women-only events, yes, it's probably not
a good idea to do that.  But women/trans/nonbinary-centric meetups are not
there to substitute the "open" events (which are, without name, cisgendered
male centric), they're there to find a community that might not be found
otherwise.  For some folks, it's encouraging to see people like them
represented in the field that they strive to be a part of.  As far as the
meetup percentage weighing heavy on the "dilettante"... and with all due
respect Romy, that's some cold blooded verbage, you were new once too...
encouraging her to attend the workshops meant for a more advanced
demographic will help with that.

Very obvious caveat - I'm one of the directors of Women Who Code.