[sudo-discuss] giant laser for the robot

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed May 11 13:39:12 PDT 2016

we got a giant laser for the robot.  This will allow it to cut things
precisely for us, even if they're really large.

of course to do this we'll have a safety interlock to prevent use by
untrained people, and we'll have a safety curtain or folding wall to
deploy around the robot while the laser is enabled, so nobody can
accidentally see the light coming from it.

I don't know the wavelength of the laser, but it's a giant laser diode
array with a lens on the end, and it has a water cooling jacket, and i
think i was told it's a 75 watt laser.  we do have a way to power it.

if anyone wants to get involved with playing with this, please let me
know.  I think we could get it to the point where it could cut through
some serious stuff, and the extremely large work area of the robot is a
big deal.

-jake