[sudo-discuss] entrepreneurial use of non-profit

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu May 19 01:31:03 PDT 2016

Lawful? Don't see why not.

The purposes of Sudo Room, per the Bylaws, are to "promote and encourage
scientific, technical, engineering and artistic skills through individual
projects, social collaboration, and education", including providing "work
space, storage, and other resources for projects related to engineering,
art, science, and technology that will benefit the individual members'
personal growth in their fields of interest"

Members can be suspended or terminated based on a good faith determination
"that the member has failed in a material and serious degree to observe the
rules of conduct of the corporation, or has engaged in conduct materially
and seriously prejudicial to the corporation's purposes and interests."

I think it could be argued that for a member to use the space to run a
startup is not inconsistent with Sudo's stated purpose. It definitely does
not rise to the level of "conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to
the corporation's purposes and interests".

Is it lawful for a Sudo member to use the space to run a startup? Sure -
don't see why that would be illegal.

Is it lawful for Sudo to provide space for such purposes? Sure - as long as
it is also in line with Sudo's stated nonprofit purpose to "provide work
space for projects that will benefit the individual members' personal
growth".

Is this sufficient ground for kicking a member out? Don't see why...

Patrik