[sudo-discuss] entrepreneurial use of non-profit

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu May 19 20:09:48 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM, robb <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> i'm still confused a bit how a for-profit startup's office space rental
>> is a tax exempt donation
>>

> Not sure I understood that. Is someone trying to rent office space, and
> claiming that as a donation?
>
> If someone is paying for a Sudo membership, keep in mind that memberships
> do NOT count as tax deductible donations, because you do get something in
> return!
>
> Whether someone is actually renting an office or paying for a Sudo
> membership to have a de facto office, those things would presumably fall
> under business expenses for them - same as if they counted their home
> office as a business expense.

A few folk are spending a bunch of time in sudo working on their for-profit
IoT startup. I can't remember if it's fully open source / open hardware. If
it's not and they use the space a lot then maybe it's something we should
bring up at the next meeting on June 14th.

Or we could have the discussion right in this thread. How do people feel
about that?

If it's open stuff they're working on and they spend many hours a week at
sudo then yeah that seems to me to go against the spirit of the space and I
feel like we should probably tell them to find a real co-working space
instead of being a bunch of cheapskates.

Does anyone know? How open is this stuff? If it's 100% open
hardware/software but still a top-down controlled for profit how do people
feel about it? What if it's 100% closed?

--
marc/juul