[sudo-discuss] Potluck in sudo?

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:37:08 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Charley Sheets <rcsheets at acm.org> wrote:

> Another thought: allow members to sign up to act as greeter for the
> weekly party. Each week, we try to always have one greeter signed up,
> and their job is simply to definitely attend the weekly party and say
> hi to people when they show up. Just a simple "Hello! Are you here for
> the Sudo Room party?" would be sufficient. You'd just need to promise
> to be present and greeting whoever arrives from say 7pm to 9pm.

Completely agree with this one. That has been the most important factor in
running successful recurring meetups in my experience. There needs to be a
single person responsible for (a) consistently showing up (or finding a
replacement, or as a last resort canceling the meetup and making sure
everyone gets notified); and (b) welcoming new people and introducing them
to the project (or making sure someone else gets tasked with doing so).

If they also spend 10-15 minutes before the meeting thinking about what to
work on during the meeting, that'd be nice too. But consistently showing up
and greeting new folks are more important, IMHO.

Patrik