[sudo-discuss] LED replacement lights and fluorescent fixtures in basement

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat Apr 1 21:06:35 PDT 2017

regarding the flourescent light ballasts in the basement, i believe the
replacements i installed were inductive but they may have been electronic.

I don't know if they are saying that the LED replacement lamps are _only_
compatible with "inductive" ballasts and not electronic, or if they mean that
they are OK with leaving the ballast in place.

I do not believe that our lighting fixtures use starters at all though, so I
just can't guess whether any particular LED replacement bulbs will work with
our fixtures without modifications.

the right thing to do would be to order a single LED replacement bulb (or a
pair, since sometimes they only work in pairs) and test our ballasts with them.

then if they work, we can get more, enough for all the fixtures we need them
for.

that said, i think that if we have any more working conventional flourescent
bulbs in stock (including in fixtures which need a replacement ballast) we
should use them up before switching to buying LEDs.

-jake