[sudo-discuss] How do we help SudoRoom become more project-based?

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Tue Feb 7 13:40:06 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Romy Ilano <romy at snowyla.com> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I look back on my involvement in SudoRoom and Noisebridge and *I was most
> happy and having fun bouncing off ideas with people when working on
> projects.* This also contributed the most fun to SudoRoom and shows what
> is unique about the space.
>
> I got sucked into a bunch of interesting events, especially around
> teaching and helping lead Women Who Code meetups. That was very fun! I
> socialized with a lot of cool people and had good times. There were nice
> conversations.
>
> But these kinds of activities ultimately did not produce any tangible
> results that I could build upon. I am not interested in being an event
> planner or a teacher, although those are noble activities!
>
> *How can we help make SudoRoom a bit more project-based? *By putting new
> potential members on the path to creating projects, i think this would help
> with our retention.
>
> I keep mentioning again and again to new people that it's not so much
> fitting in with the people, having people hug you or going to events where
> everyone looks exactly like you that's important... meetups are all over
> the bay area. it's really the projects that suck people in and help them
> add diversity to the space.

Some of us had been thinking about having a 5 minutes of fame every
month/week where people can show their projects. Maybe we could do that and
encourage that presenters invite other people to work with them?

How about first wednesday's? Every first wednesday of the month we have a
5mof?

Noisebridge has 5mof on third Thursday's.

Who wants to help make the first sudo room 5mof happen on Wednesday March
1st?

Here's how folks can help:

* INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS!
* Sign up for a 5 minute spot to show / talk about something!
** It can be anything! Just think of this as show and tell, with the show
part being optional :)
* Sign up to help set up audio and video in advance
* Sign up to help set up chairs / pews before the event and/or move them
away after
* Bring food, snacks or drinks for sharing
* Bring plates, bowls, cups or cutlery (we have some but not enough)

I put a tentative schedule here:

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/5MoF

Just reply in this thread if you want to help out or present!

--
marc/juul