[sudo-discuss] How do we help SudoRoom become more project-based?

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Tue Feb 7 12:36:23 PST 2017

Hey!

I look back on my involvement in SudoRoom and Noisebridge and *I was most
happy and having fun bouncing off ideas with people when working on
projects.* This also contributed the most fun to SudoRoom and shows what is
unique about the space.

I got sucked into a bunch of interesting events, especially around teaching
and helping lead Women Who Code meetups. That was very fun! I socialized
with a lot of cool people and had good times. There were nice conversations.

But these kinds of activities ultimately did not produce any tangible
results that I could build upon. I am not interested in being an event
planner or a teacher, although those are noble activities!

*How can we help make SudoRoom a bit more project-based? *By putting new
potential members on the path to creating projects, i think this would help
with our retention.

I keep mentioning again and again to new people that it's not so much
fitting in with the people, having people hug you or going to events where
everyone looks exactly like you that's important... meetups are all over
the bay area. it's really the projects that suck people in and help them
add diversity to the space.

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com