[sudo-discuss] Door hacking

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Jan 25 13:17:40 PST 2017

> I'll see what I can manage. Do you have a datasheet for the latch
> release scheme you're using?

i don't understand.  you just flip the pin high for a few seconds like it does
in the code and it unlatches the door.

i guess you probably mean the motor controller shield, which is listed on line
12 of the code:  https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

but we won't be using that anymore, so the latch function will be very simple,
just flipping a pin to undo the latch.

the complicated part will be driving the three-phase permanent-magnet motor
that I just rigged up, which will be the front-door opener for the omni:
http://spaz.org/~jake/pix/omnidoormotor1.png
http://i.imgur.com/FUp1dvu.jpg

basically i will be controlling about 6 pins to drive that motor, and
monitoring 2 pins which will tell me quadrature of its position for that
purpose.  and another output pin will control the latch.

this is a diagram of a similar motor, except it shows three hall-effect sensors
and i think our motor might only have two, is that possible?  I need to look.
http://www.avdweb.nl/Article_files/Solarbike/Motor-controller/4-Pole-brushless-DC-motor-animation.jpg

this is the chip in the motor controller that I will be using, i worked on it
last night and am half-done wiring it up:

http://www.intersil.com/en/products/space-and-harsh-environment/harsh-environment/half--full-bridge-and-three-phase-drivers/HIP4082.html

there are three of those, to control two three-phase permanent-magnet motors,
because each motor needs three I-bridges.  Since we only need one motor to move
the door, i'll just use one of the ones on the second side for the latch
solenoid.

here are pictures of what i was doing last night:
http://spaz.org/~jake/pix/2017-01/doormotor.html

all you need to do is get the RFID code that Henner wrote to compile in
arduino, and i can do the rest.  what do you think of that?

i look forward to working with you on this, i think it will be more fun and
rewarding than some of the stuff we were doing before, since we'll actually be
getting the door to open and close from software.  the other thing is that
there's more of a deadline on this project, since we're apparently able to get
in trouble for not being ADA compliant.

-jake