[sudo-discuss] Door hacking

Alexander Papazoglou papazoga at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:06:42 PST 2017

> I'll see what I can manage. Do you have a datasheet for the latch
>> release scheme you're using?
>>

> i don't understand.  you just flip the pin high for a few seconds like it
> does
> in the code and it unlatches the door.

I see. That's what I would have assumed, except you said "all it does is
trigger
the latch release solenoid, but it's still using this super-fancy motor
control shield,"
which made it sound like the latch release solenoid was complicated enough
that
it needed to be driven by a fancy motor shield.

basically i will be controlling about 6 pins to drive that motor, and
> monitoring 2 pins which will tell me quadrature of its position for that
> purpose.  and another output pin will control the latch.
>
> this is a diagram of a similar motor, except it shows three hall-effect
> sensors
> and i think our motor might only have two, is that possible?  I need to
> look.
> http://www.avdweb.nl/Article_files/Solarbike/Motor-controlle
> r/4-Pole-brushless-DC-motor-animation.jpg

This sounds like fun, and I'm interested in helping with it, including
working on
firmware for it.

> all you need to do is get the RFID code that Henner wrote to compile in
> arduino, and i can do the rest.  what do you think of that?

This sounds like you're leaving me the boring part. I think it's silly to
port it to
arduino and I am not interested in working on this in the way you've
described.

How about we agree on a pinout for the 168P and I write the firmware while
you
work out the motor hardware, since you've already started on it?

Then we can get together at a later date, perhaps this coming Tuesday, and
see what we've got. We can reapportion labor as necessary.

Not sure why this private thread ended up on sudo-discuss, btw.

Alex