[sudo-discuss] cnc pcb drilling

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue May 9 13:35:17 PDT 2017

i asked noisebridge if we can take the MaxNC and they seem to be OK with it, i
just need to go pick it up.

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/MaxNCMill

it works the same way as the cheap shitty MyDIYCNC that we have now, except
that this is a Real Machine and much more accurate.  As for untethering it
from the shitty old desktop, i have a mini computer with a parallel port that
can be attached to the back of the CNC, and then it can be used from one's
laptop via ssh with x-forwarding, or one can plug in a monitor and keyboard, or
use x11vnc or whatever

but a smoothie board would be inappropriate since the MaxNC has its own motor
driver electronics, and only needs to be sent TTL signals (from a parallel port
or whatever) to step along in whatever direction.

if you wanted to convert the MaxNC to something simpler, a regular arduino with
a g-code interpreter and a DB25M plug would work just fine to step it around.

-jake