[sudo-discuss] Server Area: Clean Up + Organizing Stuff + Migrating Network Gear and Connections Between Racks (It already started.)

danarauz at gmail.com danarauz at gmail.com
Sat May 13 23:36:19 PDT 2017

*Hello All, *

Today (Saturday) thanks to Marc, Rob, and yours truly the server "cage"
area got some Love. : )

It still needs more love, but with a vacuum and a brush to get the dust out
under the four post rack, and production gear itself.
And not to mention all the wiring that will need to be redone (but this for
part the future).

*AN IDEA IN PROGRESS: *
Migrate all gear and patch panels into the four post rack, so we gain more
space by removing the two posts rack.

*MOVING THINGS IN AND OUT:*

* The three old red servers that were not in used were removed.

* The server that Marc had configure (I forgot what is what the told me he
had configured) got install in the four post rack.

* The 2 HP switches got moved to the 2 post rack to the 4post rack.
* There is old stuff and things we are not going to use. I feel we should
check with Marcus and see if we can add these items to the "pay what you
can" sale event. Rob suggested to have a list and announce the items for
that sale, and also suggested that we put some of that stuff in eBay.

*NEW (USED) GEAR THINGS RUNNING:*
* The 24 and 38 HP switches are running along w the Ruckus wireless
controller, and one of Ruckus Access Points.

* This AP was temporarily set on top of one of the servers and pointing to
the Sudoroom tables, pushing the "Omni Commons" SSID. :)

*COMING TO OMNI EARLY IN THE MORNING:*

I am considering to come to omni about 6:30am (after taking my better half
to work).

*PLAN FOR SUNDAY EARLY MORNING PLAN:*
Since I am going to the there early, and Marc already gave me the Gateway
Server interfaces (LANs) overview, I feel that it would be a good time to
swap their cables to connect to the HP switches, and these to feed the Dell
Switches instead. By doing this I don't perceive anything going south.

*WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?:*
Marc and I talked about it, and we agreed that doing this will allow us to
have a nicer and controlled migration, so we don't have to do that all at
once. This is trivial, now that I know what LANs is each interface at the
Linux server level.

*BTW:*
We started about 11AM something, and ended about 7:40PM. It was a whole day
thing.

Thank you, and please let me know if you have any questions. I will check
email before starting anything tomorrow.

Daniel Arauz

Signal: 415.336.9143