[sudo-discuss] seeking a low-power computer with 2 or more ethernet ports

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Wed Oct 18 19:09:41 PDT 2017

Jake  <jake at spaz.org> wrote at [1]:

i'm looking for a small low-power computer with at least two ethernet
ports.  gigabit would be preferred although i wouldn't turn down an older
one since I have nothing at this point.  I want to make a router for my
house, to go between the comcast bullshit and my internal network.

How about using a fairly low-cost and low-power assemblage of a Raspberry
Pi 3 [2] along with one or two extra USB Gigabit Ethernet dongles
attached, and using an RPi3 distro for a sort of DIY
"Poorman's"/"Poorperson's"-type router ??  According to David Both's
'Firewall your home network with a Raspberry Pi' [3], he's successfully
used an ASIX AX88178 USB Gigabit Ethernet dongle as a second Ethernet
port.  According to to the Alpine Linux's 'Linux Router with VPN on a
Raspberry Pi' [4], the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter [5] is recommended as it
contains a ASIX AX88772 which "has good Linux support".

There is further discussion on the Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange about
setting up and using such an RPi as a router/firewall, e.g., see [6] and
[7]

The wifi KRACK attack vulnerability that's infesting WPA-protected
networks -- e.g., see Marc J's recent Mesh post [8] -- might even make it
_imperative_ (yes?|no?) to disable the RPi 3's WiFi connectivity for such
a dual-homed+ router.

> just a raw motherboard would be fine but with a case is fine too.

It's fairly easy to obtain or make a case for an RPi3. It's also
definitely recommended to use a powered USB hub for powering the Rpi3
itself as well as the one or two Gigabit Ethernet dongles on this router.

Hope that this helps :-)
-A